Agents of M.A.Y.H.E.M. is the new game from Saints Row developer Volition
Saints Row is undoubtedly one of the more interesting open world franchises out there. Beginning as a Grand Theft Auto knock-off, the series developed an original sense of humor and style which sets it completely apart from its contemporaries. Saints Row IV is such a hodge podge of delightfully semi-broken elements that it's hard not to see the entire thing as a send-up of its genre.
That alone is reason to get excited for Volition's new game, Agents of M.A.Y.H.E.M., the first trailer for which we can see above. I've heard some reporters say it doesn't resemble Saints Row, but in my opinion, everything on display here is a continuation of where Volition's games have been going for a long time: lightly comic book-esque art style, silly quips, a flagrant disregard for human life, and a diverse cast of walking archetypes. A burly sailor yelling "ahoy, motherfucker!" while hurling an anchor into a robot's chest is so Peak Volition I don't have proper words for it. And then there's the deep bass.
Well, and most explicitly, there's a stylized version of the Fleur de Lis in the latter part of the trailer -- long the icon for the Third Street Saints, so maybe this even exists in the same universe as the Saints Row games somehow? Just, with a comic book supervillain waving an evil laser wand around to control drones or... something... Look, I don't know, and I don't rightly care, I'm just Here For It.
Here's some blurbing action via the game's Amazon product listing:
- Pick your squad of 3 highly skilled and iconic characters from a roster of 12 uniquely designed MAYHEM agents, brimming with personality
- Play as any of the 3 Super Agents you select to take into battle, and swap between them on the fly for greater gameplay depth
- The technologically advanced capital of South Korea with its Open World cityscape is your playground to take down LEGION
- Discover secret research centers concealed throughout Seoul, hidden enemy lairs beneath the glossy surface of the city, and nefarious plots to unravel
- Inspired by an assortment of past and present pop culture revolving around super heroes, comics and Saturday morning cartoons
Agents of M.A.Y.H.E.M. has been announced for a 2017 release on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Windows PC. Here are some additional screens, also from Amazon.