Friday tidbits: Overwatch, Undertale, Underwatch, Overtale...
Welcome to Friday! It seems we got here inordinately quick this week, doesn't it? Must be because of that Monday holiday. We had some major news go down despite the truncated work week, though: pro player Evan Brown got the boot from two major FGC tournaments after sexually assaulting a fellow attendee, Overwatch is annihilating cheaters so successfully that cheat software services are at a loss, and No Man's Sky experienced a teensy tiny delay, something absolutely no one got upset about. Oh, and Nate Ewert-Krocker brought us a roundup of the best new soundtrack releases from May!
There are plenty of small stories which fell between the cracks, though, so let's have a quick look at some of the more interesting ones from the past week!
- Overwatch, Overwatch, Overwatch: yes, we're all obsessed with it here at ZAM, and no, you can't get us to stop. If you remember the giant action figures which appeared around the world on the eve of launch day, the company which built them has a wonderful new post describing how they were made. Blizzard, for its part, has a brief video showcasing some construction highlights (below).
- Patricia Hernandez continues doing Mercy's work over at Kotaku, this time collecting a truly-impressive assortment of Overwatch Play of the Game mashups. Remember: don't be a Brian.
- Capcom needs to work on its messaging a bit, but we now know the next downloadable character for Street Fighter V is Ibuki. She's delayed till later this June though.
- If you ever felt Jonathan Blow's The Witness paired overwrought visuals with its puzzle designs, you might appreciate Wit.NES, an unofficial demake of the game for the Nintendo Entertainment System. Here's Andrew Goldfarb of IGN getting it to work on his smartphone.
- Did you know Pee Wee Herman himself, Paul Reubens, plays a character in Telltale's Minecraft: Story Mode? Here he is at Nerdist sharing how he was approached for the role.
- If you're in need of a little political catharsis, Surgeon Simulator's got your back: you can now perform QWOP-like surgery on Donald Trump, including giving him a literal heart of stone, if you so desire.
- Just in case you forgot that Undertale is cute as a button and twice as shiny, Fangamer has just opened preorders on its first series of Undertale figurines. Come September, these are definitely going to take over both Laura's and my desks at the office.
- Lastly (you thought we were done with Overwatch stuff didn't you well you were fatally mistaken), just look at this custom Lego build of Overwatch's D.Va and her Meka. Just look at it.
That's all from us here at ZAM! Stay safe out there, and don't forget to commend your supports.
(Top image: Frisk as Mercy fanart by ever-starcatcher on tumblr.)